The Docxmerge service offers the following:
- API for transforming and mixing Word documents with JSON.
- UI to administer templates and manage their versions.
- Word Add-in to be able to layout the template with more agility.
The requirements are:
- Microsoft Word 2013 or later
With this product we can perform our first test.
We need to activate the developer option, for that we have to click File, in the top left.
And click on options, bottom left:
Let's go to the Customize Ribbon section and select the Developer tab.
When editing any document, we'll see a Developer tab on the Ribbon options, on the top
The only section of the Developer tab that we are going to use will be the Controls.
Before we start with our document, let's click the Design Mode button in the Controls section of the Developer tab.
Open an empty document and write: "My name is David" ( or whatever name you want )
Next, we will select the text David, and we will select within the tab Developer, in the section Controls, the first icon:
Then select properties:
There will be a modal, in which you will be asked for the name of the property:
You will get the text David text with a wrapper that describes the name of the property.
Without leaving the document, we can install the Docxmerge Add-In in the Microsoft store:
Once installed, it will appear in the Home tab, to the right of the whole with a D logo:
If we click, the login screen will appear. We can authenticate, both with user/password, as with Google:
Once we authenticate we can see the list of templates, and we click on Create new template
A modal will appear with a form
We will ask for the Name, and instead of selecting the Word file, we can give the button to Upload current document :
Once we create the document, we have the details of the template, and a testing system:
In this interface there are the following options:
- If we want to upload changes to the current Word document, we just have to click on the Upload current document button.
- We can change the JSON and give it to render (since the add-in uses Internet Explorer, these downloads will come out in the downloads of this one)
We have a list of actions on the top right:
- Consolidate, will allow you to keep a history of template versions
- Url, allows an external user to modify the document without having to sign up.
- Load, allows you to open the content of that template in a new Word.
- Add Control, is an alternative to the Add contents of the word, ignore for now.
- Delete, you will be asked for confirmation to delete the template.